Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Purpose

The purpose of this blog will be to post lesson's that I have learned from nursing and want to share with everyone. It is my hope to pass along this knowledge and to create discussion around some topics that I have learned from. I have learned in my profession that one sentence can change how someone looks at the world around them, and that it can positively or negatively influence someone. So, at the end of every blog post I will challenge you to do something--it might involve stepping out of your comfort zone, reflecting on yourself, doing something adventurous, or even just being aware.

On my drive home today, I was listening to the radio and a local radio personality was discussing how her dog greets her when she gets home. The dog acts as though she has been gone forever, regardless of how long that it actually has been, and the dog wants to give love and attention and support to the owner. Coincidentally, I am dog-sitting this week so I came home to three dogs that greeted me that way!

The radio host challenged her listeners to greet their family members as the dog greets the owner upon arrival. Why not treat your family as though you are just seeing them for the first time after a long trip? Why not greet them with love and support and give them your undivided attention? This is how nurses should treat their patients, and certainly how we should treat those that we care for around us. Imagine how it would make your loved ones feel if you did this for a week instead of being wrapped up in your own world when they arrive home. Imagine how it would make YOU feel if your loved one greeted you like this for a day, a week, or even a month. So I challenge you to greet the people in your life as though you have not seen them for a while--your patients, your family, your friends, your co-workers...and see the response that you get and how it makes you feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment